14 June 2005

Childhood revisited or never left?

At the moment I'm having fun trying to fill gaps in my comic book collection. It's costing me an enormous amount of money, but it offers me a window into my childhood. Revisiting my earliest escapist haunts does make me realise I have changed; I have grown up. I don't know if it's a good thing though - I am not as easily pleased and I see politics in everything.

Otherwise great stories can be marred now by conservative threads or even the face of the old enemy - Ronald Regan. I am reminded how much I hated that man, so I guess I would have had the same feeling back then too, seeing him saved by Wonder Woman. When I was young I didn't doubt her and the flag-outfit seemed like a fashion choice....

3 comments:

Mrs Robot said...

Well, that's right: the stars-and-stripes is a great look! Just happens to have a bit of baggage attached, unfortunately.

Which comics are you collecting?

You're rather brave going back. For years I bought 2000 AD and Fantastic Four (and Phantom, of course) but I'm reluctant to read them again for fear that -- like you -- I'll see a subtext that wasn't there before. More bluntly: what if they suck?

The past is a foreign country and sometimes the food can make you queasy.

Fatuous One said...

Yes, but I always was a sucker for Time Travel....

Fatuous One said...

In answer to your question: I'm not collecting - I'm revisiting.

I've been looking for gap-filling stories. Mainly Huntress (old one, not new -yuk) (I had to buy a whole heap of Wonder Woman to get bits of Huntress.), original Spider Woman, Ms Marvel (I think she is v2), Supergirl (but only a certain age bracket - early 80's - earlier than that and they are way wussy), Batgirl and am now trying for Alpha Flight.... mostly after girls. There are a few 2000 ad stories that it would be good to find the ends of... but I might be tempted to buy overseas then and I'm not willing to open that can of worms.

I spent quite a bit recently - now need to sit back and identify particular issues that I want - and go all archival with the storage which I never thought I would do.... but I've been looking at values and might as well start looking after them. Most of my comics are in crap condition which would have nothing to do with storing them in hat boxes and reading them in the bath I'm sure....

Have you read Halo Jones (2000ad)? - big speculation around our house about who would be able to turn it into a movie - wondering if Peter Jackson would be into another challenge....