26 October 2006

Observations on drugs

Drugs, obviously, are good. They are so good that I like to stay away from them. I’ve never tried heroin – I believe it’s very good. People are happy to go to rack and ruin for it so it must indeed be fabulous.

Speed, I know, is too fabulous. (I am told cocaine is better than speed – so that’s a definite no-go area). If I took speed on a regular basis I could be everything that I dreamed – everything I ever wanted could be at my fingertips. If I had taken it when I also had youth on my side there is the distinct possibility that I would now be very successful either as an artist or a graphic designer.

Speed would make me a social person with the ability to think on her feet and network. I still wouldn’t be beautiful, but the chances are I would be thin and have nice skin - for a while anyway. Ten, maybe five, maybe three years down the track my skin might not be so good. My hair might not be so good; my nerves might not be so good; my brain might not be so good. It’s a risk.

I know lots of people who have used speed to study or to work or to keep up a rigorous schedule of partying and work – or just partying. I know lots of people who are social users and have maintained that without a great deal of harm for years. I know people who are so thin they look anorexic and people who have *tinnitus and can’t keep a conversation logical….

I know some people who have used heroin and led normal lives - never stolen or forgotten to pay their rent. I know people who have turned grey in colour; people who have stolen from friends; people who have no teeth left. I knew other people who are now dead.

Pot isn’t one of the fabulous drugs. It makes you paranoid, causes memory problems and an increase in bad temper as well as being bad for your lungs if you smoke it. Some people seem to like it excessively, but I can’t see why, but as a drug of choice it seems no more harmful than smoking or excessive cola.

Headache tablets are also fabulous – there is nothing better than relief from pain. Why suffer any pain at all when you can just pop a pill? Well, depending on type, you could get liver or stomach lining damage or constipation. Every drug or chemical you take - cola, coffee, herbal medications, synthetic sugars, illicit substances – they all have an effect that you should be aware of.

We live in a society that encourages us to pop pills every time we feel any pain or other symptom – is it any wonder that some people don’t understand why they shouldn’t take a bigger, better drug that makes them feel great. Really there is no difference.

Dare I say, yet again, we need to change the way we think to change society…..

*(I had written ‘tintinitus’ – but that was not right although it might be an extremely rare disease that involves an aversion to Tin Tin)

And, yes, I know that calling it ‘speed’ shows my age.

No comments: