03 August 2006

Think more creatively

I've a basic faith in the human race. I have no faith in us being peaceful - don't think I've gone crazy. I have faith that we can do anything technolgically that we set our minds to - eventually. Given that alternative energy is such a broad field, I am sure we can come up with enough approaches that our lifestyles are not significantly altered. We can probably continue to 'consume' in the rapid way our economies are designed to but we might have to consume different things, in different ways, to save the planet.

I have faith that if we put all our efforts into using greener energy it will get done, but if we take the easy out and go for nuclear then these other approaches may never get the chance.

We are being told that it will be good for Australia - that economically we need to sell uranium. I've purchased plenty of shonky items in my time, but most of them have a limited ability to destroy the world as we know it. It is unethical to mine uranium at all. Unethical to store its waste in anyone's backyard. Unethical to sell it to anyone - whatever use they want it for, it still has the potential to kill massive amounts of people and pollute for hundreds of thousands of years. I can't believe that people will countenance this for any reason, least of all economics.

No comments: