02 March 2006

Mmmm, morning coffee. So good you just want another cup. But.

If anything puts me off escalating my daily ration to three cups it’s reading New Scientist. Apparently my two cups of coffee cost the world 280 litres of water to make. Glad I don’t take milk and sugar.

Just to rub that in: 1 kilo of coffee = 20 000 litres of water.

Next on the list is junk food followed by clothes.

We need to get real. Eat less; consume less. Businesses need to be based on reuse before recycling. Forget capitalism and keeping the economy going. We can survive economic collapse if we look out for one another. We can’t survive global warming, falling water tables and continued consumption at this rate.

The article I read was by Fred Pearce

His book:
When the Rivers Run Dry: Water-The Defining Crisis of the Twenty-first Century

No comments: